Oh, the joy, and the pain, of organizing my new quilting station. I spent a good four hours or so on Saturday refolding just about every piece of quilting fabric I own so that a folded edge will show when placed on a shelf.
It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Now I can see all of my fabric at a glance, and the folded edges showing makes it easy to see what I have. (And I'm please to see that while I have more fabric than I have projects, I have less fabric in total than I thought.)
Once everything was organized, I was ready to get back to work on the quilt-as-you-go quilt for our friend who's moving to Pasadena. Since I finished the pieced strips and pieced together the backs for the solid strips earlier in the week, I was ready to start quilting the solid strips with the backs.
I decided to do three vertical lines spaced evenly across the strip, as well as some random curves. I marked the straight lines with a hera marker, which I find quite a handy tool.
Once the strips were quilted, it was time to assemble the full quilt. I laid out the three solid strips and four pieced strips on that table of my quilting station. Sure, it's a little smaller than I'd like, but one makes do with what one has. Even a bit cramped, I thought it showed promise.
I decided to sew the strips with a basic seam, so that the front would be clean. It went pretty quickly, seeing as it's just a series of long, straight seams.
Here is the finished front...
...and the finished back. (I'll cover the raw edges of the seams on the back with strips in the same floral fabric as the long front panels.)
I'll have to piece some of the strips, because I have limited fabric left, but I think it will look good. Luckily, I have just enough to do all six strips.
I still have to decide what to do for the binding, but that will have to wait for another day. I had to get up early on Sunday morning, so I covered my sewing machine, bid good night to my wonderful quilting station and headed up to bed.